When will D1 be finished?

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Mon May 11 10:33:53 PDT 2009

Luís Marques wrote:

> I guess that's the point. Who currently thinks that D1 is
> production-ready, or is consistently getting there, and how long till it
> gets there?

Already *before* D1 I wrote a non-trivial application, that is still
used in the industry even as we speak.  I wrote it in straight, honest,
clean code, and had no problems. It runs two simultaneous tasks,
controls industry processing hardware through the parallell port, has a
command line language of its own, and it shows parameters of the process
on the screen in real time, using graphs and colors. And it writes logs
and output files as needed, at the same time.

D1 is production ready, IMHO, now. But for such a question, you should
define what production-ready means to you.

If it means having all GUI programming environments, comprehensive
libraries, etc., then even D2 won't get you there.

Why? That's because the day D2 is "released", this newsgroup will start
developing D3, and from that day on everyone will whine about all
attention going to D3. And all kids writing libraries and porting stuff,
obviously have to use the lastest version of D, or else their friends
will call them wussies.