OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 17 18:51:53 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> Hello Brad,
>
>> My other problem with IDE's, such as eclipse, is that it's such an all
>> or nothing investment.  You can't really just use part of it.  You
>> must buy in to it's editor, it's interface with your SCM, it's
>> scriptures of indentation style, etc.  Trying to deviate from any of
>> it is such a large pain that it's just not worth it -- more so as the
>> team working on a project gets larger.
>
> For VS, you might have a point. However for D, I use Descent and I
> haven't found any of those to be a problem. Getting people to agree on
> how to set it up I expect would be a bigger problem.

Actually, Descent isn't perfect, either.  For example, it mandates that
cases in a switch MUST be aligned with the braces.  What's more fun is
that you can't override it until AFTER it's corrected YOU.

Oh, and how it indents multiline function calls is completely retarded.

And every time I try to autocomplete a templated function call, it
insists on inserting ALL of the template arguments, even when they're
supposed to be derived.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like Descent.  But as soon as you try to
make a program "smart", you're going to start getting it wrong.

</rant>

  -- Daniel