No header files?

AJ aj at nospam.net
Thu Oct 22 20:08:08 PDT 2009

"BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ffbc7d8cc213dc5feed9c at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello aJ,
>
>> "BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
>> news:a6268ffbc158cc2111f3e3b246 at news.digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> Hello aJ,

>>> I think the frustration here is that you seem to be saying that you
>>> can't do something in D that you want to do but we have yet to figure
>>> out what it is.
>>>
>> No, not at all. I realized far back in this thread that I can develop
>> in D as I do now in C++ (header files come first). The thread went on
>> with people trying to convince me how wrong that process is (?).
>>

> I'm still not clear on exactly what you plan on doing.

"Traditional" (read C/C++ like) software development.

> If you plan on generating the function prototypes

Nope. I plan on hand-crafting header files before I create any
implementation files.

>  in a .d file and filling out the bodies later, go for it.

Oh, by "generating" (bad choice of word), you meant "writing". Yes I do.

> If you plan on hand writing the .di file

Ooops! No I don't! Yes, I will be "modeling" via header files.

>  and then writing the implementation in a .d file... ah... that's a bad
> idea (for one there is no error checking between a .di file and the
> implementation file).

Now you get what I was saying above! Yes?

Ohhhh! You mean that .di files are NOT like C++ header files. I think I see
what you mean. Other people have told me I could work the same way I
currently do in C++, but apparently, there is a big paradigm shift in the
development model between C++ and D. I never even considered that D meant
changing the process. Very, very good info I am getting here. Maybe I asked
too soon about a D IDE, as I can't invest as much time (brainpower actually)
as required to get my mind around the "whole smear" right now. I may just
concentrate on select features of D for now (as I have been doing).