[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird

sybrandy sybrandy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 11:26:09 PST 2010

> - Thunderbird apparently has *data loss/corruption* issues, and yet it's
> very popular.
> - OE *doesn't* have data loss/corruption issues, and yet it's widely
> looked-down upon.
>
> So what's wrong with this picture?

I've never used OE as, well, I preferred Thunderbird, however I've never
experienced any data loss/corruption with Thunderbird.  Perhaps it's not
the products themselves but something in the environment that's causing
the issue?

The only thing that I can say definitively is that I did a quick
DuckDuckGo Search for ["outlook express" data loss corruption] and
["mozilla thunderbird" data loss corruption] (Search terms between
brackets) and where the first search had a number of results discussing
data corruption with OE, the second had far fewer.  Granted, this is not
a scientific, but neither program can ensure data does not become corrupted.

On a side note, as for why OE is looked down upon, at least from my
point of view any environment where different pieces of software are so
closely tied together that it makes various types of virii very easy to
create/propagate is not one I want on my system.  My word processor
should not control my email client and vice-versa.  I'm the type of
person that if I don't know that a piece of software is being installed
by company sysops, I'll report a virus since I was unaware of the
installation and I didn't do it myself.  And yes, I have done that.

Casey