What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Aug 2 16:22:15 PDT 2011

> On 8/1/2011 8:51 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > Sorry, the gui library landscape just doesn't approach being obvious
> > enough to be in the standard library.
> >
> > My 2 cents,
> > Brad
>
> After reading through this thread I now agree with you. I do think we need:
>
> 1. Ability to quickly install DWT (D package manager)
> 2. Links and documentation on d-p-l.org
>
> That way it's sort of the official GUI library, but we're not tying up
> Phobos development with this gigantic code base.
>
> Do you think this is a good idea? I think having some official GUI makes
> D more competitive with C#. It also allows IDE tools to start targeting
> designers for a particular library.
>
> What about wxWidgets? It has C bindings making the wrappers easy.
> There's already wxD (http://wxd.sourceforge.net/), but I'm not sure how
> mature it is.

I see no need for an official GUI. If there were an obvious winner, then
maybe, but there isn't. And as Walter pointed out, apparently there was a
previous attempt at endorsing a GUI library as the standard GUI library for D
in the past and that went quite badly.

Having a package management tool for D would definitely help, and maybe some
of the more major D projects should be listed on the official site so that
it's easier for people to know about them and find them. But trying to make a
particular GUI library official is not a good idea IMHO. What we need is for
it to be easier to find and use major D projects such as GUI toolkits for D
not to try and put them in the standard library so that it's easier for people
to find them.

- Jonathan M Davis