DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jan 16 12:44:39 PST 2011

On 1/16/11 2:22 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
> news:igvc0k$c3o$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I think your eyes are more important than your ability to fiddle with
>> resolution.
>
> Everyone always seems to be very vague on that issue. Given real, reliable,
> non-speculative evidence that CRTs are significantly (and not just
> negligibly) worse on the eyes, I could certainly be persuaded to replace my
> CRT when I can actually afford to. Now I'm certainly not saying that such
> evidence isn't out there, but FWIW, I have yet to come across it.

Finding recent research on dangers of CRTs on eyes is difficult to find
for the same reason finding recent research on the dangers of steam
locomotives. Still, look at what Google thinks when you type "CRT
monitor e".

>> Besides, this whole changing the resolution thing is a consequence of
>> using crappy software. What you want is set the resolution to the maximum
>> and do the rest in software. And guess what - at their maximum, CRT
>> monitors suck compared to flat panels.
>>

> Agreed, but show me an OS that actually *does* handle that reasonably well.
> XP doesn't. Win7 doesn't. Ubuntu 9.04 and Kubuntu 10.10 don't. (And I'm
> definitely not going back to OSX, I've had my fill of that.)

I'm happy with the way Ubuntu and OSX handle it.

>> Heck this is unbelievable... I spend time on the relative merits of flat
>> panels vs. CRTs. I'm outta here.
>>

> You're really taking this hard, aren't you?

Apparently I got drawn back into the discussion :o). I'm not as intense
about this as one might think, but I do find it surprising that this
discussion could possibly occur ever since about 2005.

Andrei