const/immutable member functions

foobar foo at bar.com
Tue Jan 25 08:06:47 PST 2011

so Wrote:

> > Boy you missed the point by about 2.5 light years..
>
> This can go forever as long as one of us resist to simple reasoning and
> analogy,
> and the other one has the energy to continue.
>
> > All I said is that Since D is English based (terminology, etc) it would
> > make sense to follow a more English like word ordering in order to make
> > the learning curve less steep.
>
> We are not teaching PL to monkeys, though i am not sure if they would find
> this an issue.
> Math is another language and it is quite flexible, I don't see people that
> left to right oriented use "one add two equal three",
> while the others use "three equal one add two" and flaming the others.
> After you learn the damn rule (which is in the basics of any language),
> both equally natural.
>
> > Your argument boils down to something like "Who needs cars? I'm riding
> > my horse Johnny since childhood..Feels natural to me" This has no
> > relevance to an objective comparison between a car and a horse.
>
> No.
> And i can't get better than that so this discussion for me now pointless.

No one is flaming here, this is just an academic discussion and I'm sorry if you took offense.

The subject of this discussion is the learning curve and *not* about teaching monkey to program.
 I'm simply stating that each language (programming or otherwise) has a learning curve which can be statistically measured for an average human being.
Fact is that for the _same_ person it takes more time to learn C++ compared to other languages. So I'm *not* talking about how smart you need to be in order to learn C but rather how long will it take you to learn different programming languages and comparing _the_languages_ based on that metric.

Math is actually a very good example: It takes many years to learn math (from first class to university) and therefore it has a very steep learning curve.

Here's another perspective:
A professor that teaches introduction to CS in first semester to students that never programmed before needs to choose a programing language. One of the criteria for choosing which language to use is of course the learning curve.
I'm sure you know that not all universities choose c/c++ for this. In fact, I know of several universities that use scheme as that first programming language.