Suggestion: New D front page

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 17:25:03 PST 2011

Brad Roberts wrote:
> I'd pull the updating out of the user stream into a separate job
> so that any delays or networking issues don't impact the user
> experience.

I moved it to a background process (spawned and killed on demand,
simple one line change in the source).

I dislike cron jobs since they run even if you don't need them
and need special setup (editing the crontab or whatever). A
cache updater and a background process gets the job done just
as well without those downsides.

But, it occurs to me that this entire website could be on a
cron job, updated once or twice a day, if we move the platform
detection to the client side.

It's not like the content is truely dynamic per visit or different
for various people (even if it had random code samples or projects,
that could be updated infrequently and still be good enough).

It just periodically updates its content - exactly what a cron
job putting out plain HTML would do. That might be the way to go.
It fits in with the rest of the site being basic html too, so
Walter might prefer it.