Is D still alive?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:31:29 PST 2011

Trass3r Wrote:

> > I've chosen to only work with D1/Tango from start, and I simply don't
> > recognize the frustration many are feeling. I'm only concerned over
> > that there ARE quite a few developers that seems to have been turned
> > off by instability, and the Phobos/Tango-problem.
>
> Well, if nobody acted as a guinea pig, no issues would be uncovered ;)
> And though I already encountered several blocker bugs myself I got the
> feeling that the situation has become way better.
> Of course if, for some reason, you absolutely need x64 or have a hard
> deadline for your project then D1 is probably the better way to go.

Andrei put for the question once of, "How many issues would users run across if they stuck to those features that are also available in v1.0?"

I think the answer would be more then sticking with a D1 compiler, but not nearly the number people do hit, which is also diminishing rapidly.

I do not think there is an issue with using D2 in a new project, but if you have to ask you probably should go with D1. I say this because someone who is aware of the issues present in the language is able to decide if their desired project would be hindered by the bug. There are definitely some projects, with constraints which would not make D a very good choice.

For example D would make a great language on an embedded device, but currently the first one to take it on will have a massive overhead to make it work.