D2 & Web-Framework

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jul 15 13:49:35 PDT 2011

"Adam Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ivpdoo$rif$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Sooo...I don't suppose you've given thought to using Hg/BitBucket or
>> Git/GitHub? ;)
>>
>> It'd make a lot of things much easier for both you and others using
>> your code.  And it would better facilitate people submitting patches
>> to you. Theyare an extra tool to learn and use, but they're well
>> worth it.
>
> Easier for me is hard to see... right now, I just write files and when
> I want it shared, I run:
>
> cp dom.d /var/www/htdocs/dcode
>
> And that's all there is to it.. similarly, saving changes is as simple
> as hitting save in my editor. Revert means hitting undo a bunch of
> times.

Does your undo stack persist after the editor (or the file) is closed? How
big is the undo stack? How easy is to undo to a specific working (ie, not
"in the middle of a task") state?

Also, doing it that way makes it harder to track down where a regression was
introduced.

A point that was a big one for me: What happens when you decide you need to
deleted?

Another big thing is that it makes it much easier to fold in user-submitted
changes. (And you're more likely to actually *get* other people helping
out.)

> What I hate about github though... SOCIAL CODING. Ugh, I see the
> word "social" way way WAY too much!

I *completely* agree! Every time I see/hear the word "social" (at least used
with an implied positive connotation) it makes my skin crawl.

But then, I hate most people, I've always hated socializing (except for
message boards and close friends/family), I hate highly social people, I
hate Twitface and people who use it, etc... And, of course, "social" has
become just as much of an idiotic, meaningless buzzword as "cloud".

Unfortunately, even as much of a turn-off as "social" is, I have to admit,
DVCSes are absolutely fantastic tools, and the collaboration is, admittedly,
a very very good aspect. I do wish the sites weren't so damnned slow and
JS-heavy, though...Hell, even with JS off, they're insanely slow when
viewing code - but I blame HTML/CSS for that...

> but meh I did it anyway and it wasn't as painful as I thought to get
> started:
>
> https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff

Cool :) Nice repo name, btw ;)

BTW, Tip from experience: Save yourself the sanity and never bother trying
to deal with hg-git (the thing that supposedly lets you access Git repos
from Hg)...