There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 20 13:12:54 PDT 2011

"Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote in message
news:op.vvsd4ef3tuzx1w at cybershadow.mshome.net...
> On Fri, 20 May 2011 17:52:53 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

>>>  You've mentioned some fairly untypical usage,
>>
>> Huh????
>
> You wouldn't consider using msysgit's bash shell and utilities on an AD
> computer "untypical"?

Half of github's "setting up on windows" instructions (
http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/ ) use Git bash. Sounds like it's
*expected* to be typical usage. That fact that it's even there at all
strongly suggests the Git developers feel that it will be needed.

> I believe the typical usage of msysgit is:
> 1) Using the GUI utilities in combination with Git-Cheetah
> 2) Using git from the Windows command line via the git.cmd wrapper
>
>>> so it's not surprising you ran into so many problems. Why would you
>>> want to use the interactive bash shell?
>>
>> Because it has slightly fewer bugs than the other alternatives.
>
> Problems #6 and #7 on your list, maybe even #1 and #2 are msys problems.
> They might not exist in, for example, cygwin.

And yet Git still chooses to rely on msys for operation on Windows, despite
msys's problems.

If I were to release a Windows program and then package it up together with
Wine and claim I've made a Linux version, too: that would be total BS. It
*wouldn't* be a Linux version. At best it could be considered a half-assed
attempt, and naturally it would have problems. And I very much doubt Linux
users would put up it it being considered a real Linux version. But that's
*exactly* what Git on Windows is, as well as all software that relies on
msys, mingw or cygwin for so-called "windows support". Except that, in my
experience, wine works far better than msys, mingw and cygwin.