Example within documentations of D seriously need some improvement.

Mike James foo at bar.com
Fri May 27 06:01:44 PDT 2011

"Matthew Ong" <ongbp at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:iro4gg$1763$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 5/27/2011 7:27 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2011-05-27 09:35, Matthew Ong wrote:
>> The documentation on the DigitalMars site is more of a language
>> reference than a tutorial. It's probably not the best place to start but
>> when you know the language is good to be able to look some odd syntax
>> you rarely use.
> yes. I am aware, it is not a tutorial site. Lets compare that with Google
> Go, Java, and C# Language reference.
>
> Java
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3TOC.html
> Well Organized and has detail interference. They even have implicit and
> explicit promotion documented.
>
> C#
> http://www.willydev.net/descargas/CLICsharp.pdf
> 490 pages and well documented.
>
> Go
> http://golang.org/doc/go_spec.html
> Short. But some organisation also.
> No foo and no bar. Point, Split, Join, String...
>
> I am not asking D to be as heavy pages as Java or C#(use their)
> organization but use the naming example similar to Go or something better?
> But at least see in the TOC of Java and C# to see what is missing from D
> documentation. D has a larger than Java syntax set.
>
> About tutorial.
>
> Even the tutorial site is not as organized as the one shown there? Please
> have a click on the URL:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tutorials/wiki/ArraysCategory
> http://www.dprogramming.com/tutorial.php
>
> Compare that to the Php,
> http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_operators.asp
>
> Please let me know which is easy to navigate and easy to read?
>
> --
> Matthew Ong
> email: ongbp at yahoo.com

For a tutorial you would be better getting Andreis book

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/programming/d/9780321659538

This gives you a good grounding, and more, of the D 2.0 language.

A book about Phobos won't be forthcoming for a while yet until the library
is fully realized (I fell into that trap with Tango + D1 :-) ).

-=mike=-