How can D become adopted at my company?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 25 21:41:35 PDT 2012

On 4/25/2012 1:37 PM, Eljay wrote:
> Thank you Brad, that's the kind of response I was hoping to elicit.
>
>> What's interesting to me is that it's really a deflection and dodges the entire point of the question.
>
> Yes, I know.
>
> I tried to step back and look at the bigger picture, and the issue of "what are the pain points which hinder D from
> being used".
>
> As well as "what could the D community do to make D a more compelling alternative".
>
> Even when I had my own one-man company, and could use any programming language I wanted -- and despite my own unbridled
> enthusiasm for D -- I ended up not using D.

Part of my point is that it's _easy_ to find reasons to not introduce change, regardless of the nature of the change.
Even if the change is something that's low risk and done or used all the time.  It takes a little bravery and faith and
determination to cause change.  It takes even more to make risky changes, and no doubt, using D carries risks.  BUT,
unless those risks are taken, the status quo won't change.

It's a lot like interviewing potential employees.  It's really pretty easy to seek out reasons not to hire and pass on
every candidate.  I know people that take that approach with their interviews.. and quickly get taken aside and
re-trained how to interview or are just removed from the process altogether.  It takes a balanced approach.

We don't need more generalizations about why not to use D, we need people willing to take a minor risk and introduce D
to demonstrate its strengths and accept the warts knowing that the trend is clearly in the right direction.

Another 2 cents,
Brad