Does D have too many features?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Apr 30 10:04:01 PDT 2012

On Monday, April 30, 2012 11:15:17 bearophile wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis:
> > Honestly, I don't think that you _can_ take much from this
> > thread other than
>
> I don't agree, I see some recurring patterns.
>
> People have spent energy and time to write lot of answers in this
> thread, some good answer bits too, so I expect such work to not
> let be fully wasted. Asking for opinions, receiving lot of them,
> and then ignoring them all is not a good way to run a community.
>
> And thank you for your answer, I always appreciate your answers,
> but you aren't Walter, that post was for him (and Andrei) to
> answer :-)

I never claimed that I _was_ Walter. I was pointing out that there's very
little consensus in this thread (almost all of the comments are in conflict
with other comments) so that even if it was our intention to go and remove
things from the language based on this thread, there is very little, if
anything, that has a clear consensus on being removed. The closest would
probably be the comma operator, and there wasn't even a complete consensus on
_that_.

And while I obviously can't say for certain what Walter intended, it was my
impression that the point of this thread was more out of curiosity and for
"lessons learned" from designing D than to actually make any changes to the
language right now (especially when you consider how much Walter hates
breaking backwards compatibility). But obviously, he'd have to clarify for us
to know for sure.

- Jonathan M Davis