Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 20:15:19 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 11 December 2012 at 04:11:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 8:01 PM, Kapps wrote:
>> Right now, holding it off won't break any code not relying on
>> an unreleased
>> version of the compiler. Releasing it, then having to make
>> changes will break
>> code though. There were plenty of discussions about UDA stuff
>> that never really
>> got fully resolved. For example, whether only specific types
>> should be allowed
>> to be used as annotations. These things should have been fully
>> decided before
>> UDA's were implemented, because otherwise we may end up with
>> an inferior
>> approach for the sake of not breaking code, or breaking code
>> because a feature
>> was not fully fleshed out before being released.
>
> I agree there was not a consensus reached on this issue. But I
> also feel all the arguments were fairly represented, and it was
> time to make a decision.

Note that either the decision is to reserve attribution to
special types, and it is rather safe as it is what is done in
other languages, or it is to allow everything to be an attribute,
and it should be field tested before going into the main release,
because unless I'm mistaken, no language do that ATM, so we can't
rely on previous experience on the subject.