Next focus: PROCESS

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Dec 12 08:14:45 PST 2012

On 12/12/12 1:37 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> There may be some helpful scripts to facilitate a new workflow, but the
> examples given I feel just translate to learning a D specific git
> commands. Seriously you'll end up with a layer of abstraction that will
> make it harder for those familiar with git to understand and limit the
> ability of newer users to understand the state their working copy is in.

I disagree. I wrote a few git scripts for Facebook-specific workflows
and a lot of people (including me) use them.

Beyond that we need to have a wiki page with workflows:

"To initiate a new feature"

"To initiate a bug fix"

"To initiate a library addition without formal review"

"To initiate a library addition with formal review"

> git-start-new-feature:
> $ git checkout devbranch
> $ git checkout -b newfeaturename
>
> git-start-bugfix:
> $ git checkout stablebranch
> $ git checkout -b fixbugxxx
>
> How these should be folded back is the harder part. For example the bug
> fix should then be into stablebranch and devbranch.

All of these will be part of the instructions and the macros. The branch
names will be standardized.

> There is also the matter of pulling in changes of your stable or dev
> branch as you work, this is done with the add --rebase switch (and I
> believe opens the doors for more merge conflicts than a standard merge).

All of these should be subsections in the documentation.

"If your branch has conflicts"

"If your branch became really messed up"

>> (One piece that has been brought forward is
>> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ - something to
>> keep in mind.)
>
> I would like to note that these simple flows do not mimic our world. We
> have three projects that need to be marked for release in tandem. It
> doesn't need address now, but it should be noted.
>
> I think it would be cool if the idea behind workbench project someone
> started was used officially to sync dmd/phobos/dlang.org and provide any
> of these needed deployment scripts. It would add to the complexity but
> much of it is already there this would just make it more apparent.

What is the workbench project?

Andrei