[OT] destroy all software (was Programming language WATs)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jan 21 14:13:29 PST 2012

"Chad J" <chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jffcaj$2bug$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I don't think American colleges teach Computer Science/Engineering very
> well at all.  My physics degree was an Engineering Physics degree and thus
> had an engineering "emphasis" which I filled with some CS courses, mostly
> because they'd bring up my grades after the physics classes.  A few of
> them were pretty legit, but then OSU insisted on teaching this RESOLVE
> stuff.  Now, I'm not going to make the argument that it's bad because no
> one uses that in the workplace.  I'm down with using an obscure
> programming language for pedagogy as long as there is a reason. But what
> RESOLVE is... they want it to be reusable code, but obviously they don't
> take DRY seriously, because they make you duplicate code all over the
> place.  Duplicate code is not reusable or maintainable.  That is my
> biggest complaint with it, and it soured my opinion of the whole thing for
> the entire time.  Oh, and they also liked to invent terminology for things
> that already had prior terminology, which is dumb.  There are more
> complaints, but I'll stop there.

I have a friend who went through OSU's CS program and I remember him
complaining about Resolve, too. But I dunno, I've visited OSU and I still
think it's more of a football franchise slash commercial real estate
developer than a school... 'Course, considering what I think of schools,
that may not be much of a complaint ;)

> So college wasn't all that bad to me.  They still need to change the
> funding model here in the states though.  That shit is broken as fuck.

What are you talking about? It works great as long as your family's not
middle-class, or if you're female, or if you're not caucasian...And that's
ok for middle-class white males, since we apperently get everything we could
ever desire handed to us on a silver platter just for being white males...I
mean, show of hands, how many of the white males here got their "Set for
life, because you're a white male" care package? See. Everybody.