Message-Passing

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Jan 22 02:04:24 PST 2012

Am 22.01.2012, 01:42 Uhr, schrieb Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>:

> On Jan 21, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 January 2012 18:09, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>
>>
>> Seriously?  I usually turn that feature off if I use an IDE that has
>> it. Large projects aren't an issue. I've worked on some counted in
>> millions of lines of code.
>>
>> Why even argue this? What's the point in intentionally making D
>> unappealing to anyone who works in a non-linux professional
>> environment? Do you aim to alienate those users from the community;
>> keep the community nice and small...
>> I honestly don't understand how so many people around here can blindly
>> consider windows users, and 'IDE users' in general, a niche or minority
>> user base, and also, what the value of presenting this argument might
>> actually be?
>
> I wasn't making any sort of argument, I was merely surprised at this
> statement.  Even most of the Java devs I know aren't this reliant on an
> IDE.

I was as a Java developer reliant on an IDE. It integrates such features
as SVN, refactoring, Maven2, remote debugging, powerful code completion
including turning the letters "MSO" into "MySpecialObject" using
camel-case matching, an embedded compiler capable of quick recompiling
when you save a file, warnings while you are editing, powerful search for
things like "write access to field 'x'", ... the list goes on.