MS extend C++ significantly for Windows8... and Andrei got name drop

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:35:59 PST 2012

On 26 January 2012 00:02, Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 25 January 2012 23:33, Trass3r <un at known.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  This is fairly interesting. MS have extended their C++ compiler
>>>>

>>> Yeah, while refusing to implement most of C++11.
>>>

>> Good! The C++11 committee should be shot. They've got it completely
>> wrong, and MS have it right for my money! :)
>> I don't want MORE STL, I want less :)
>>

> Herb Sutter (the man speaking in your video) is chairman of the C++
> standards committee so it's kind of amusing that the stuff you praise and
> the stuff you say is wrong are both led by the same man. Also, he and
> Andrei wrote a book together (C++ Coding Standards) so the name drop isn't
> entirely unexpected.  They do the C++ and Beyond conference together (with
> Scott Meyers).  A large portion of the questions from the attendees I saw
> in the Channel 9 videos were about D.

Haha really? Amazing, but he works for Microsoft then I guess? So why is he
fixing C++ for MS, but won't fix the C++ standard its self? std::function
for instance, why add that if he turns around and adds a proper keyword for
MS?

It's kind of sad to see Microsoft doing so much work in interesting areas
> with C++ that I won't get to use because it's proprietary (AMP, for
> instance).

/agree ... but maybe enough people might demand some of those features in
GCC, and it could bleeds across...