State of D on iOS/Android?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 09:26:19 PST 2012

On 28 January 2012 19:03, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 06:42:14PM +0200, Manu wrote:
> > On 28 January 2012 18:19, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> [...]
> > > As far as I know, gdc can already produce ARM code since it uses the
> > > gcc backend. All we need now is a nice native D interface to the
> > > Android libraries, and I'll be a very very happy man.
> >
> > Libraries are the easy part. If you can make a build-script that 'just
> > works' for the average man, and perhaps also mingw binaries for the
> > Win users, I think progress in this area will explode almost
> > instantly.
>
> OK, what do you mean by "just works"? What is needed to in the script?
> I'll admit I haven't really looked too closely at the Android docs yet,
> but shouldn't it just be a matter of compiling your D sources with gdc
> as usual, and then link it with a particular set of libraries?

Just build with GDC as usual, and link with the Android NDK libs (we'll
obviously need D bindings). They're distributes as binaries with each
revision of the Android NDK.

> Well, OK, so you do need to setup an ARM cross-compiler, so you'll need
> either to build gdc/gcc yourself (ugh) or have someone provide the
> binaries. What else?

That's enough. A script to fully automate building the Android toolchain,
and ideally, a set of mingw binaries put on the web somewhere.
Google have instructions to build the toolchain on the Android developer
website, they provide a nice set of scripts to do it on linux... It should
just be a matter of patching GDC support into their script and letting it
do its thing.

The rest can be left to the community, ie. druntime, making bindings for
the NDK libraries (binaries are provided in the NDK distro). I'm sure
that'll take care of its self within short time.