Incomprehensible compiler errors

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Jul 31 08:17:28 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-31 11:28, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> FWIW, I think this is the problem:
>
> The people who have been using D so far are mostly those who are
> perfectly happy, or prefer, command lines and lightweight code
> editors. So they've never been particularly motivated to work on such
> things since they don't need them and have plenty of more immediate
> concerns.

I'm not happy with and don't prefer command line tools. I prefer using
an IDE. I'm really jealous on Eclipse (JDT) and Xcode 4.

I'm trying to work on improving the development environment for D. But
these things take time. Before starting with high level tools like an
IDE we need proper tools at a lower level. I don't think we're there
yet. No proper build tools, no package manager, no good way to run tests
and so on.

> Then the people who demand fullweight IDEs, GUI designers, zero command
> line, etc., see that D doesn't have much in that regard, and they don't
> improve the situation either, they just leave in disgust instead.
>
> So neither side is doing it and we have a chicken and egg situation :/
>
> Of course, that's not *entirely* true. Things like VisualD and Mono-D
> *are* very actively maintained. They just don't have very many people
> helping out (which of course is where the chicken and egg comes in).
>
> As far as reliable dev tools, Programmer's Notepad 2 + DMD has been
> *very* reliable for me. It's not "Trivial, a-baby-can-do-it, set
> everything up with one-click", you have to understand the command line,
> etc., but it's certainly been very reliable.

I'm quite happy with my setup using TextMate and DMD, RDMD and DVM. I've
added commands to run a single file using RDMD. I also have another
command for building a whole project. It can parse the output of the
builds and create links, which points back to TextMate, of any compile
errors or exceptions thrown at runtime.

--
/Jacob Carlborg