Incomprehensible compiler errors

Stuart stugol at gmx.com
Tue Jul 31 18:27:14 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 01:12:37 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 02:44 AM, Stuart wrote:
>> If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant.
>> And when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.
>>

> - Why would it be interesting to talk about whether someone
> 'knows something' or not? This is d.D.

I didn't say it was interesting. I was called ignorant, and it
was implied that I was a programming newbie. So I pointed out
that I was not. And then got a bunch of flak for that too.

> - Why is it important whether or not some random guy on
>   the internet thinks some statements are ignorant?

I assumed that most people who posted on this forum were relevant
to the project. I mean, it's hardly a subject that should attract
random trolls, I would've thought.

>> Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful
>> community" I've heard so much about.
>
> Why? It is friendly and helpful. Even more so if it is treated
> as such.

Some of it is, yes. But the ones who aren't are spoiling it
somewhat. And as I say, I assumed everyone on this forum was
either a dev or a user. I wasn't expecting drive-by trolling.

And yes, I may have been a little negative in this thread, but
it's because I really found D interesting and wanted to use it;
and discovered that I couldn't.