GitHub for Windows

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 05:42:11 PDT 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 06:29:25 -0400, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:op.wer3hmsreav7ka at steves-laptop...

>> Although I would replace Vista in your narrative with Win7.  Vista was a
>> horrible abortion that should never have seen the light of day.
>>

> Maybe so, but if I were to upgrade from XP, I would be torn between Vista
> and 7 because Vista at least lets me have my taskbar instead of a dock.
>
> And Vista doesn't pop-up tons of shit everytime the pointer gets near the
> bottom of the screen. I'd never be able to get any work done if I had
> (barely-distinguishable) mini-screenshots constantly popping up to
> "help" me
> all time like Win7 loves to do. They've killed Clippy, but his ghost
> remains
> as a poltergeist spreading thruout Windows (and IE8).

Sorry, I will take this *any day* instead of:

me: start-> control panel
vista: FLASHING RED SIRENS! DANGER! DANGER! SOMETHING, WHICH I CANNOT
DETERMINE AND AM ULTIMATELY SUSPICIOUS OF, STARTED CONTROL PANEL, DO YOU
WANT TO ALLOW THIS?
me: yes, dumb shit I JUST CLICKED ON IT!
vista: Are you sure?  I mean some malicious software may have clicked on
it for you the *split second* before you did!
me: yes.
vista: ok, proceed.
me: click on printers in control panel
vista: FLASHING RED SIRENS! DANGER! DANGER! SOMETHING OPENED THE PRINTER
CONFIGURATION TOOL! and this time IT REALLY COULD BE MALICIOUS SOFTWARE
(you know how they like to mischievously check your printer queue)!!!!!
me: GRRRRRR.

at least the taskbar is a user preference (and I'm pretty sure you can
revert that), and not a choice between annoyance and system security.

Truth be told, I really like the win7 interface vs. the xp interface.
Start menu searching is the best improvement ever.  I frequently use the
little window previews that you hate.  But vista is frankly unusable.

-Steve