D vs C++11

"Erèbe" erebe at erebe.eu
Sat Nov 3 15:37:15 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 3 November 2012 at 13:17:46 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Erèbe:
>
>> Is there a point in the D roadmap where we will see "Okay, D
>> has enough features, let add some support to the language now"
>> ? Because in my opinion D is for now just a language, a
>> awesome one yes, but not yet a good environnement for
>> developper.
>
> You are missing some essential points. First of all features
> are not just "done": they have corner cases to be fixed,
> details to be improved, they need to be fully implemented, they
> need to become efficient, bugs need to be removed, new needs
> ask for new parts, there are new CPUs to support, new OSes, new
> vector extensions added to CPUs, and so on. So in the end the
> work for the core language developers never ends. Putting such
> developers at work on tools is not a good idea, because then no
> one does the essential work on the core language and they will
> often be newbies regarding tools. So it becomes a lose-lose
> situation. You can't stop the development of the core language
> to develop tools, it causes a disaster. Usually you have to
> build a language good enough that it attracts other people,
> that are willing to work on tools and external modules :-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Duly noted

>On Saturday, 3 November 2012 at 15:25:07 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/khmerwhgumluolifxtix@forum.dlang.org#post-khmerwhgumluolifxtix:40forum.dlang.org

Thanks I will try !

On Saturday, 3 November 2012 at 16:06:11 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Yeah I use vim too, and I don't see any problem. But then
> again, maybe
> he's looking for syntax highlighting or that kind of stuff
> which I don't
> use.

I only use IDE at the beginning (for a new language or librairy)
because I found autocompletion helpful, after that I switch back
to vim.

> But still. Oleg has a point -- IDE support and other such
> things need to
> be done by other people than the core developers, who need to
> focus on
> honing the language.
>
> I find it strange that every so often people clamor for IDE
> support,
> syntax highlighting, debugger support, etc., yet nobody seems
> to be
> willing to contribute actual code. Don't like something about
> the
> current state of D development tools? Well then do something
> about it.
> The source code is there for a reason, and it's not just to
> make people
> feel all warm and fuzzy inside because now we can label
> ourselves "open
> source".

I was expecting the argument of "Not happy ? Do it yourself !". I
shall be glad to do it by myself, but I don't have the knowledge
(of the language, of the codebase) yet, and in regards with my
studies and the time I can dedicate to my side-projects, I will
not be started before 6 months or more.
My point is, there may are a lot of people with that knowledge in
the community, and a little impulsion from the root should be
helpful, because modern support will make D shine even brighter.

I will work toward this direction but it will take me time.