deimos libx11 license

luminousone rd.hunt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 22:41:00 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 13 August 2013 at 05:03:10 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 05:53:50 luminousone wrote:
>> I finely got around to checking the libx11 deimos project for
>> updates, i haven't updated in ages, and the github has a LGPL
>> license file included with it, is this intentional?, The opengl
>> deimos library does not contain this, are all of the deimos
>> projects LGPL, or is their some sort of error in this
>> repository
>> containing this?
>
> Deimos projects have no relation to each other beyond the fact
> that they're
> all in the same group on github. They're simply D bindings to a
> variety of
> unrelated libraries which were written in C. So, the license of
> one project
> has no bearing on the license of another.
>
> Given that they're bindings, I would expect them to have the
> same license as
> the original C code. In the case of flac, I outright copied the
> copyrights from
> the C code. It really doesn't make much sense IMHO to give the
> bindings a
> different license from the original. At best, you might be able
> to get away
> with marking them as Boost, but since you'd be using the
> original library to
> do anything, you'd still be restricted by its license. But I'm
> not a lawyer,
> so I don't know what all of the murky details are. It just
> seemed simplest to
> me to copy the copyrights over.
>
> As for the opengl deimos project, I don't know what its license
> is. It's
> probably listed in the copyright notices in the files.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Their are other opengl wrappers with various licenses, I am
actually more concered with the libx11 license, I need to be able
to statically link without surrendering my code to the lgpl
license.

The original license of Xlib I am pretty sure is the x11 license,
any idea who the maintainer of the libx11 deimos project is, such
that I may query them, before I relagate myself to writting a new
xlib wrapper?

I ask purely because I think their might be an error, not because
I am arguing the merits of the license, I just wanna be sure all
my ducks are in a row so to speak!