Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 08:03:10 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 29 August 2013 at 14:50:58 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 29/08/13 16:41, John Colvin wrote:
>> sadly, yes. We need a release version of them, just like we
>> have enforce and
>> assert. Unfortunately in this case it won't be a library
>> solution and will need
>> compiler support.
>
> You missed my recent thread here, then, and the responses ...
> :-)
>
> I was going to add earlier: you could probably handle this with
> a rewrite of what Proxy does, but adding the constraint check
> inside the opDispatch code. Still, I think Gour has a point
> about Ada's attractiveness if those kinds of value safety
> checks are a first-class part of the language.

opDispatch isn't enough, you need to add to all the operators
too. Shouldn't be too hard.

I think there's actually quite a lot more D can do in this
regard, it's something I've been playing around with for a while.
When I have some free time I might look in to it again.