obsolete D libraries/modules

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Aug 30 04:41:59 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-30 10:26, Ramon wrote:

> I understand your point and I understand that some reasonably
> (from their perspective) perceive a lack of fairness.
>
> My point of view, however, was that of a newbie. As such I won't
> make my learning curve steeper by learning two "standard
> libraries", which one to use when, etc.

There is just a single standard library. I don't know how many times I
have to say this: "Tango is just another third party library".

And as long as you don't compile DStep yourself you don't even have to
know it uses Tango.

> - why tango? What's better there than in phobos?

In my opinion:

* Argument parsing
* XML package
* Net package (not any external dependencies)
* Zip package
* I think it has more collections
* Logging

> - what's the offering? (Is it a complete replacement for phobos?)

Yes, but you can use just what you want. As I said, I'm only using the
argument parsing from Tango.

--
/Jacob Carlborg