Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Dec 7 11:26:53 PST 2013

On 12/7/13 8:23 AM, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 December 2013 at 15:42:54 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> That is not advertisement, and your tenor is dissonant in this forum.
>
> This is not the first time you are commenting my 'tenor' which is an
> unusual thing.

I agree it's unusual.

> Of course, it is dissosant in this 'forum', if you mean
> by forum constant advertisement which does not express full information
> about the subject (like reddit link bombing).

What links did I post on reddit that would be inappropriate for the
charter of that site?

> When speaking about D
> newsgroups in general, I found myself pretty neutral.

I'd find that difficult to argue. Consider:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/l37h5s$2gd8$1@digitalmars.com?page=3#post-wllaccthfrnvquuhsbsr:40forum.dlang.org

It was a factual, undeniable piece of good news: some nontrivial D code
was starting daily use at Facebook. There was no sensationalizing to
complain about. Yet there had to be one smartaleck comment, and guess
who it came from. Just browse through your own posting history. Making
one's name a great predictor (NLP machine learning algos for sentiment
analysis would love it) for snarky comments, facts be damned, is hardly
being neutral.

>> This community, as pretty much any other languages', is looking for
>> strategic advantages compared to other languages, and how to exploit
>> them. It is perfectly natural to look for places where D semantics may
>> lead to better code and exploit those at their best.
>
> I am happy with looking at strategic advantages, but strategic
> advantages are not excuse for current disadvantages. Perhaps some major
> bugs should be fixed before promoting the language?

I appreciate your very strong contributions to the bug reports and
associated discussions. It seems you are worried we're too busy keeping
in denial about our shortcomings and feel the urge to keep us grounded
every so often. Worry not. There is time to focus, and there is time to
chillax.

>> D code is easy to make fast. This has been shown numerous times in
>> various contexts. There are also convenience features that are not
>> aimed at performance, bugs, and insufficiencies. Enumerating them in
>> an attempt to argue that D code is not or cannot be faster than C is
>> missing the point.
>
> I remember regex implementation as example of superior performance. I
> don't remember any other libraries, projects (perhaps vide.d in some
> activities). Meanwhile, many people regular complain on some problems. I
> do remember only one thread (it was started by Jonathan) which was
> devoted to single purpose of describing how D language is usefull and
> good to solve problems.

I agree we should fix problems that prevent maximum performance from
being achieved simply and easily.

Andrei