What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:14:27 PST 2013

15-Feb-2013 00:03, Jacob Carlborg пишет:
> On 2013-02-14 13:20, Regan Heath wrote:
>
>> Just a minor point from me.  I reckon the functionality you want can and
>> should be built on top of std.getopt.
>>
>> As others have said you could either do this first and get it submitted
>> to phobos, and then work on the other issues and getting Orbit itself in
>> there.. or you can build this functionality into a module within Orbit
>> and then work on getting that extracted as a separate module in phobos.
>>
>> The former delays ppl being able to use Orbit, the latter means more
>> work down the line to refactor Orbit - tho hopefully this will just be
>> an import declaration change, tho it may also include a slight API
>> change if ppl are unhappy with the existing one.
>
> Andrei said there's stuff he didn't want at all, like the "dstack"
> library. I don't know if he means in Phobos or in Orbit at all.

I believe that the idea is that any amount of helpers is fine as long as
they are private and don't obfuscate code. Phobos contains a lot tiny
helpers that _might_ be useful but not exposed because of dubious
general utility and potentially confusing names.

As far pushing good primitives into Phobos, it'd better be done one step
at time and decoupled of the actual inclusion of Orbit (if we can agree
on it being included) into say tools repo and being bundled with DMD.

--
Dmitry Olshansky