What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Feb 14 13:49:59 PST 2013

On 2013-02-14 21:33, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

> Then there are these ways forward IMHO:
> a) Admit that tango for D2 exists (easy) and bundle it with DMD (the
> hard/not likely/inconvenient part)

Yeah, that would be the easy and IMHO the best solution.

> b) Agree that we need to port it and issue a call to port/re-write
> required facilities for Orbit on top of phobos/curl. This means pulls
> against Orbit repo not phobos BTW.
> c) Forget about Orbit and try something else, like Dub?
>
> About serialization (that seems the biggest roadblock) - what exactly
> does Orbit need it for? Maybe it can be decoupled and/or easily
> re-written by hand until Orange or similar stuff gets into Phobos.

It probably can. But I already had a working serializer and it's easy to
just to "serialize(data)" instead of doing it manually.

It uses the serializer for saving an index to disk.

> Regardless I think reducing dependencies is the important for inclusion
> of any new component into the "D core".

In general I think that the D community should embrace all
developers/contributors and existing libraries. It cannot afford to
loose contributions for petty things like this.

--
/Jacob Carlborg