working on the dlang.org website

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jul 14 20:22:58 PDT 2013

On 7/14/2013 7:19 PM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> On 7/14/13 5:20 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 7/14/2013 2:30 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>> I think it madness that the site is written in Ddoc.
>>
>> Different, sure. Madness - why?
>
> If you look at for example this file:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/lex.dd
>
> All I see is HTML with a different syntax. You can achieve the same using html
> tags (<h4> instead of $(H4)) and div ids or classes, then applying css rules.

HTML doesn't work for other kinds of output that is supported by the makefiles -
ebook, pdf, etc.

I wrote the original Digital Mars web site in plain html. That's what motivated
me to invent Ddoc. I'm at least twice as productive in Ddoc, maybe even 4 times.
For example, if I want to change the copyright notice, I can:

1. edit hundreds of files

    -- or --

2. edit a Ddoc macro

It's no contest.

> If somebody wants to contribute, it's sure easy to understand HTML. But
> understanding DDoc requires more knowledge, so less chance of receiving
> contributions.

Ddoc isn't any harder than any of the innumerable markup languages out there,
like mediawiki.