The new std.process is ready for review

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Mar 5 13:04:14 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 at 20:19:06 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad
wrote:
> A special thanks to Vladimir P. for pointing out an egregious
> flaw in the original design.

But wait, there's more!

(please don't hurt me)

1. Typo: "plattform"

2. Is there any meaning in the idea of consolidating
spawnProcess/pipeProcess/execute and spawnShell/pipeShell/shell?
How about that collectOutput idea?

3. Where are we with compatibility with the old module? One idea
I haven't seen mentioned yet is: perhaps we could make the return
value of "shell" have a deprecated "alias this" to the output
string, so that it's implicitly convertible to a string to
preserve compatibility.

4. Is there any way to deal with pipe clogging (pipe buffer
getting exceeded when manually handling both input and output of
a subprocess)? Can we query the number of bytes we can
immediately read/write without blocking on a File?

5. How about that Environment.opIn_r?

Great work so far otherwise!