D pullrequest review process rant

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Thu May 9 12:18:39 PDT 2013

On 09.05.2013 20:15, Walter Bright wrote:

> BTW, one issue is nearing resolution. D will soon provide a dll for
> phobos for Linux, and it is intended to migrate this to all platforms,
> which will resolve the ODR problem.

A shared phobos library will not solve the ODR problem, because TypeInfo
for instances of class or struct templates will still be generated into
every binary that instantiates them if they do not happen to be
instantiated by phobos itself.

I'm undecided whether these could be treated as different
classes/structs even if they have the same name. Also considering
possible different memory layout due to different compile options:
welcome to DLL hell.