The stately := operator feature proposal

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Fri May 31 05:58:50 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 23:50:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> There are orders of magnitudes of difference between providing
> a new
> abstraction like a class and simply rewriting
>
> auto i = foo;
>
> as
>
> i := foo;
>
> _All_ it does is save you 4 characters and shift where in the
> statement the
> piece is that tells the compiler to infer the type.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

+1

I really hope such stuff will _never ever_ get into official D
spec. It is just going to be a disaster for language that aims to
be general-purpose and doesn't want to die because of minor
detail overload complexity, like C++ did.

That syntax obession makes me afraid. Shorter lambdas had at
least some rationale.