core.memory GC interface / specification

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Tue Nov 5 09:15:04 PST 2013

On 11/03/2013 03:33 AM, safety0ff wrote:
> Realloc currently has the following issues:
> - If realloc is passed an interior pointer and a size parameter of zero,
> then realloc inherits the above issue from free, additionally, it always
> returns as if success.
> - If realloc is passed a pointer to non-GC memory with non-zero size, it
> will allocate a new GC owned block when it should do nothing (and
> possibly return as if error.)
> - Same as above except with interior pointer, this is an issue for
> shrinking allocations (similar to free issue,) whereas for expansion it
> is not a big deal (but proper behaviour should be documented specifically.)

Most of these are sound like either implementation or documentation
bugs. Please file them in bugzilla http://d.puremagic.com/issues/.
Generally we can't force implementations to provide checks that are
possibly expensive to implement. So it might be more appropriate to
disallow using non-GC pointer with the GC, but this needs some more thought.