dmd 2.065 - Agenda

qznc qznc at web.de
Thu Nov 14 04:54:32 PST 2013

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 at 12:00:26 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 00:32:56 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 11/8/2013 3:33 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>>> Getting a build master :D
>>
>> We clearly need a better title!
>
> There is a title for that already in the IT world: RELEASE
> MANAGER.
>
> However, D project is chaos without any kind of management...
> Moving to GitHub improved little bit, but from a software
> engineering point of view it is far from a serious thing.
>
> This "Agenda" is what agile world typically calls a
> SPRINT/ITERATION BACKLOG. As far as I know, nobody grooms the
> DMD/Phobos backlog, people take items they like, or feel
> challenged by.
>
> I know many people have bad opinion about agile process tools
> such as Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc, but any organised way of doing
> things is better than chaos, unless you prefer the anarchy as
> seen in the Fred George's presentation (which I recommend -
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-CF7klLdA). Do not get me
> wrong, I actually agree with Fred, but we do not have the
> environment that is clearly needed for his kind of "software
> anarchy".
>
> Are bugzilla votes respected btw?

Scrum etc is for commercial software development. It does not
really work for Open Source development, because people will
always work on what they personally consider most important and
most interesting. In the agile world there is a customer, who
prioritizes work items. This cannot be applied here.

Bugzilla votes and stuff are nice to let devs know about bugs,
but not necessarily motivates to fix them.