try/catch idiom in std.datetime

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Nov 18 13:26:35 PST 2013

On Monday, November 18, 2013 12:44:43 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Well you must agree at some level that since you don't like short
> functions with or without newlines inserted, the set of options is
> considerably reduced.
>
> 1. You search for an editor that offers half lines.
>
> 2. You shun short functions altogether.
>
> 3. You adjust your style.
>
> Style is not something immutable. Paradoxically, when I was younger I
> used to see it as less of a variable than now. Improving and adapting
> one's style to various contexts is a lifelong and beneficial process.

I agree. My style has adjusted over time. It's just that I don't like any of
the options in this case, so I'm divided on how to format the code. But given
how others dislike the empty lines, I now lean more towards going with fewer
lines in this case. At least then other folks will like the formatting more
even if both ways bug may. But maybe it'll grow on me and bug me less.

- Jonathan M Davis