End user experience with D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 16:22:28 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 22:21:10 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> Finally and possibly most importantly, basically not having
> fully working  debugger support is a very serious lack.

Maybe it is because I write 100% bug free code the first time
every time ( :-) ) but I've found the gdb support, at least on
Linux, to be really pretty good.

I compile with -gc -debug - the "pretend to be C" option is
something I started doing years ago and might not be necessary
anymore, but I've found it to be plenty good enough anyway.

> D's bias toward Windows doesn't help either.

If anything, I don't think D goes far enough in its Windows
support. It works well there, sure, even the optlink things
others complain about don't bother me, but there's a lot of stuff
it could easily do and doesn't, at least not without grabbing
additional downloads.

On Linux, dmd works quite excellently, as do gdc and ldc.