[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Sep 23 05:01:02 PDT 2013

On Monday, 23 September 2013 at 11:52:28 UTC, Bruno Medeiros
wrote:
> On 21/09/2013 16:07, Manu wrote:
>
> My feelings exactly. I learned about Linux and studied it when
> I was in high-school (Windows 98/Me era), and I was quite
> excited about it. Windows was more shite those days, and I knew
> Linux was not for the average user, but I thought that once I
> learned it well enough (shell, network, configuring partitions,
> automounting, the X server, etc.), it would be worthwhile to
> use.
> That wasn't the case unfortunately. There was always new stuff
> that would come up that you would need to learn how to
> configure, or need to thinker, or there would be shortcomings
> in application functionality. After a certain point it was just
> annoying. It might be "fun" for people who get kicks out of
> working the innards of a system and being closer to how things
> work, but on my computer I wanted to either have my leisure
> time, or get real work done. And spending time configuring
> stuff (that in Windows just worked out of the box) is not a
> productive use of one's time in any way, shape or form.
>
> True, this was like 10 years ago and Linux distros got better,
> but so has Windows, and nowdays there is little motivation now
> for me to try a different OS/desktop-environment.

Ironically, this is exactly the reason I have never succeeded in
using the Windows for daily work. Amount of manual configuration
and subverting the defaults needed to make it actually usable for
my programming flow is outstanding. In the same time on my Linux
distro it is mostly `pacman -Sy gnome gnome-extra xorg-server
nvidia dlang vim git` and I am ready to work on a fresh install.