Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

simendsjo simendsjo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 04:42:39 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 24 September 2013 at 22:53:39 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 September 2013 at 20:32:51 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 24 September 2013 at 18:19:26 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
>> wrote:

>>> Ok, will add these. Bruno and Alex, is it ok for you? What
>>> are the appropriate links? Are there any direct download
>>> links?
>>>

>> One little problem. MonoDevelop isn't always up to date on
>> various repos. Because of this, Alexander builds his own
>> version. This precompiled package is hosted at my server.
>> While I don't reboot it very often, it is perhaps not the best
>> place to store this if it's "part" of D by being placed on the
>> homepage. I would recommend hosting the MonoDevelop build as
>> well so no user comes complaining if my server is down.
>
> I actually think Mono-D must chose one long term support
> MonoDevelop version before being officially endorsed. Currently
> I am not aware of a single distro where it will work out of the
> box with stock MonoDevelop and forcing people to use that blob
> or compile from sources does not really smell good. I know this
> is much stress on Alex but simply don't see other way around.

The problem as I understand it is that distros pack different
versions of MD, and MD keeps changing it's API for every release.
In other words - there is no long-term support. Mono-D needs to
either support the latest and greatest and prepare a MD release
each time the API changes, or try to support as many API versions
as possible. I think the latter is problematic.