John Carmack on Eclipse performance

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Sep 28 04:23:25 PDT 2013

Am 28.09.2013 12:40, schrieb Froglegs:

>> I do like C++, but every time I look what is happening post C++11,
>> tend to be glad to spend most of my time in JVM/.NET land, specially
>> because I deal a lot with teams full of developers with an average
>> skill set.
>>

>> --
>> Paulo
>
>   Eh? C++11 makes things easier/better IMO, C++14 also has a few good
> things in it.  Really I'd say the main issue with C++ is how slow they
> are at adding some of the really important things(no modules until
> C++17(if then) --)

Except:

- You still need to know C and C++98 to deal with old codebases and
compiler errors;

- Not everyone can use C++11 and C++14, either due to company policy or
set of available compilers

- It is 4 years time until 2017, plus the time compilers will need to
adopt it, how relevant in the industry would that standard still be?

>    personally I don't give a fig about developers with average skill
> sets, but even they are better off with newer features like auto,
> lambda, shared_ptr/unique_ptr

Good luck working in code bases of big companies.

--
Paulo