Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 08:11:28 PDT 2014

On Monday, 21 April 2014 at 09:40:53 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 16:40:32 UTC, Aleksandar Ruzicic
> wrote:
>>
>> I have 27'' monitor with resolution of 2560x1440 and
>
> Yeah, me too...
>
>> left-aligned websites are really hard to read!
>>
> ...so I have no idea what you're even talking about with this
> statement.

I have by browser's window maximized and websites with lot of
text that are left-aligned are (to me at least) hard to read as I
need to move focus from center of the monitor to the left edge,
and staring at the angle like that for some time makes my eyes
hurt..

>> There is a reason why most editors have "zen mode" which
>> centers your code on a screen. It's easier to read when it's
>> centered and not too wide.
>>
> "most"? I have literally never seen this on any editor ever.
> But that's beside the point.

Sublime Text has this, it's called distraction free mode, there
was extension for Komodo IDE too, but I haven't used it for years.

>> Current design has no limitation on line width which (at my
>> resolution) results in ~300 characters wide lines, and it's
>> really unreadable.
>>
> To be clear, I'm not favouring unreadable CPL.  I'm
> specifically against the useless gutters to the left and right
> that, alone, are each too narrow to be particularly useful.
> Never mind that they account for roughly half of my screen
> area.  I'm not inclined to support any design with that much
> wasted space.

I'll try to use as much space as possible. I've said in one of
for displaying additional content.

> Oddly enough, Wikipedia's main page gets this right:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (Though I admit it
> doesn't degrade gracefully to more narrow dimensions).

Yeah, Wikipedia looks good on wide monitors but as you said it's
multi-column layout doesn't scale well.

> If proper aspect ratios hadn't been killed by cheapskate panel
> manufacturers, we probably wouldn't even be having this
> discussion.
>
> -Wyatt

Agreed. :)