Do everything in Java…

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 11 03:46:33 PST 2014

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 09:44:49 +0000
John Colvin via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Parsing is so fast it's not worth spending huge numbers of
> man-hours building an effective cacheing system for it.
and generating machine code is useless at all, it's enough to simply
improve CTFE.

> The rest
> of compilation is comparatively much slower and is therefore more
> important to cache.
what does "the rest of compilation" mean? there are alot of things you
can do with AST before writing it to disk. ah, just writing compressed
AST to disk is good enough, as reading it back is *way* *faster* than
parsing the source. and any other tool -- like lint, or completion
tool, or documentation generators can use that compressed AST without
reparsing the sources.

you can't see how this can help 'cause we don't have such
AST-companions yet. i can see how this will help 'cause i have alot of
expirience with turbo/borland pascal and BlackBox Component Builder.
think a-la BCB can be a killer app for D, but it's very hard to build
it without good AST-companions.