Lost a new commercial user this week :(

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 03:34:31 PST 2014

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:15:25 +1000
Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> >> I couldn't disagree more. People aren't allocated work time to read books.
> >> Books are for students or language enthusiasts who want to learn about
> >> programming in their home time. That doesn't apply to most
> >> professional programmers I've ever worked with.
> > that's right: most "professional programmes" i've seen simply can't
> > program. i wouldn't allow them to wash my dishes.
>
> This is even more offensive; suggesting that professional engineers
> aren't entitled to lives?
i can't do anything with that: the facts i see the facts i'm speaking
of.

> 'Excellent' programmers are fairly rare, and often come at the expense
> of other pursuits in their lives.
i'm not talking about "excellent" programmes, i'm talking about basic
CS knowledge. "why crc32 is bad hashing function?" "how to negate
machine integer without using unary minus operator?" "what is closure,
what is continuation and how they differ?" and so on. those are basic
questions, yet i was forced to add those to my interviews.

> You have to get work done with the resources available.
sometimes it's better to not start at all than trying to do something
with inappropriate/lack of resources.

> >> Most people just want to go home to their wives and kids.
> > that's why the whole software industry sux nowdays. if one doesn't like
> > his work he shouldn't do that work. simple as it is.
>
> I'm not sure how having a life outside of work implies not liking your work?
maybe i misunderstood you, but "most people just want to go home to
their wives and kids" for me looks like "i don't want to think about
ANYTHING related to my work after my work hours are done".

> >> Docs need to have examples which are plain and obvious, and the
> >> language will be absorbed by osmosis.
> > but phobos dox are exactly like this! i was never puzzled by phobos
> > documentation, and it has alot of samples which illustrates various
> > things. reader just expected to know D, it's template system and some
> > basic "idiomatic" things like ranges.
>
> Congratulations, but my case study demonstrated otherwise.
did your mates really invested time to LEARN D? not in the form "ok, it
looks like C++, and i know C++, so it will be enough to spend a hour to
become D programmer", but really reading at least Philippe's "template
tutorial"? i bet i know the answer.