Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 20:06:07 PST 2014

On 9 February 2014 20:16, <"Ola Fosheim Grøstad\"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>"@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 9 February 2014 at 10:06:12 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> I don't think you've mage a game recently.
>>

> Pointless comment.
>

>  Most big games are multi-year projects with teams numbering well in the
>>

> Most games are not big.
> Most games fail in the marketplace.

So D is an indy/mobile games language? Well, it certainly won't be that
until Android and iPhone is well supported.
AAA games however is technically possible right now, but needs more work
before it will appeal to the industry without objection.

 I didn't say they should be a focus, I'm saying they must however be
>> supported.
>>

> Must is a strong word, but since D is focusing on separate compilation it
> probably is a focus.
>
> Why are most comments about the application domain for D centered on
> "prestigious" projects such as AAA games, high volume trading system and
> safety critical appliations?

Perhaps it's because these are precisely the first few major businesses who
have made a commercial commitment to D?
If the language fails to satisfy ambitious early adopters, why should
others follow?

The most likely application domain is a lot less "exciting": tools and
> simple servers.
>
> Get down to earth, plz.

I don't write 'unexciting' tools and simple servers, so they are not my
focal points. There are plenty of other people here that keep those usage
targets in check.
There are relatively few (although numbers are growing surprisingly fast)
who keep the big-games, realtime, or embedded/resource-limited usage
targets in check. I'm one of them, and I want a future for D in my
industry. If it's declared that that's not a goal for D, then I will leave
the community on that day.
I am standing firmly on planet earth, and those jobs are what pay my bills.
I know the requirements of my industry.