Close D1 bugs?

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 23:24:34 PST 2014

On Friday, 14 February 2014 at 06:07:01 UTC, ed wrote:
> On Friday, 14 February 2014 at 05:27:14 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
>> As the "official support for D1" has been discontinued in
>> 2012, shouldn't one expect the official bug tracker to close
>> anything D1-related too ?
>
> Why? Does it affect D2 in any way if D1 bugs are in the bug
> tracker(besides some meaningless stats)?. Just because it is
> offically deprecated and not supported doesn't not imply there
> is no support at all.

It affects me when I'm trying to file a bug, and looking through
already existing bugs, if 1000 of them are from an historical
project.

>> Last but not least, there is the risk that bugs, once fixed
>> for D2, turns into D1 bugs, which would harm our statistics
>> and may bug some other tools (bountysource ?). Take a look at
>> #10217 as an example.
>
> So? Then change the version to D1 only.
>
> Focus should be on actually fixing bugs, not some feelgood
> numbers coming out of the bug tracker stats. Besides, I doubt
> there is any real negative impact on D as a result of the bug
> tracker numbers at this stage. Maybe worry about that when
> evidence suggests otherwise.

It's not necessarily about the numbers. It's the fact that now,
the project is 100% D2, 0% D1, and the D1 bugs are getting in our
way. In particular, since D1 is not supposed to be supported, it
makes little sense to support bug tracking for it. It's noise and
nothing more.

I think it would make more sense instead to have a good wiki/ddoc
page that clearly documents know issues in D1 that won't get
fixed, how they are triggered, and how to work around them.

IMO, once properly documented and identified, then the bug can
simply be closed as "won't fix".