Graphics Library for D

Matt Taylor taylorius at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 04:02:43 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 at 11:10:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 at 10:44:57 UTC, Matt Taylor wrote:
>> Meanwhile, at the other end of the scale, you have a system
>> with the capabilities of the Javascript DOM (see above), or
>> the Flash player. This system can composite multiple 2D
>> layers, and keep track of the contents of those layers.
>
> Yes, this is the scene graph approach. This is basically SVG, a
> hierarchy of transforms, shapes and interactive nodes. A
> retained mode version of Display Postscript. Although
> OpenInventor has a more powerful model, perhaps (Coin3D is
> freely available as a starting point).

Indeed, though OpenInventor is a 3D scene graph of course. I
don't think it's advisable to try and shoehorn 2D and 3D into one
system. For my money, web browsers have it about right - a
standardised DOM for 2D (albeit with the odd 3D css trick
available these days) and WebGL for the "real" 3D. Not only that,
but loads of people are already familiar with how they work.

Cheers

Matt