Tail pad optimization, cache friendlyness and C++ interrop

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 18 02:16:24 PDT 2014

On 18/06/2014 8:52 p.m., Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 at 08:13:59 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> From my perspective, it is like bug reports I'd often get for the
>> compiler that consisted solely of:
>>
>>     "Your compiler doesn't work."
>>
>> It's just not helpful. There's nothing I can do with that.
>
> Lol, I'd love to see your response to them.
>
>> Also, D is a collaborative effort. If there's an issue that engages
>> your interest, step up and help out. I simply cannot do everything.
>> This n.g. is full of "you should do this, you should do that" largely
>> directed at me. You guys want things to happen, make them happen!
>
> I largely agree with this assessment, but would also like to point out
> that while almost all programmers use compilers, very few know how to
> improve one.  You can help by fleshing out the dmd source guide so that
> it's better, then pointing people at it when they demand stuff from you: ;)
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DMD_Source_Guide
>
> I know, more work for you and the few dmd contributors, but you guys can
> help others get involved with better documentation for dmd.

 From my experience, one of the reasons I haven't had much to do with
the development of dmd is simply to compile dmd, druntime is not as
straight forward as it could be.
All I can say is with ddmd make it compilable with dub same goes with
druntime. With a nice tutorial on how to set it all up on Windows/Linux ext.
Preferably with a nice automated means of, this is how we make a release
build for platform x.

It'll go along way. It really would. And anyway it'll really show off
the power of dub ;)

But in saying all this, I may want to learn to write my own compiler
ext. I just don't have the knowledge and even getting into x86
instruction encoding is head hurting alone as it stands.