Recent discussion about discussions

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 05:34:10 PDT 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:11:50 -0400, bossfong <bossfong at posteo.de> wrote:

> As a "new kid", I'm really baffled by by how much discussion in the
> developers scene is done in mailing lists.
> I strongly believe that mailing-lists are not suited for heated
> discussions on very specific issues. I even belive it's
> counter-productive when comparing the discussion flow with modern forum
> software.

You can use NNTP and a competent newsreader, I suggest opera mail.

I can instantly search all posts from all years in Opera. I can read posts
offline if I don't have access.

> By modern forum software I mean discussion centric software like
> disqus[1].

The only thing extra it provides is voting. We could potentially add
voting to the forum software, but I won't use it, since I use NNTP.

I will mention that I love disqus for web sites I visit casually. But I
don't think it's a good fit here, as most users have their own way of
accessing the data.

-Steve