A simple sieve in Phobos?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Mar 19 12:56:43 PDT 2014

Am Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:45:45 +0000
schrieb Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>:

> The experimental package was removed from Go once the importing from
> repositories worked properly. The core had only in it that which had
> been agreed by the process, nothing experimental. This made everything a
> lot cleaner.
>
> So I think keeping Phobos with only vetted and approved code is a better
> solution.

Wait, what? Because Go has special infrastructure in the
compiler front-end that enables it to import directly from
repositories like this

import (
	"fmt"
	"github.com/user/newmath"
)

we should also keep experimental modules out of the standard
library? Shouldn't we first get this technology?

It's a whole different story if the compiler front-end
seamlessly downloads missing imports in the background, than
if you have to install dub and create a project file first.
Besides you are relying on a third party tool you may or may
not plan to use for building.

Anyways, I just thought an experimental package right in Phobos
would be the straight forward way to give the most exposure to
new modules that we want tried in the field before inclusion.
That's where my vote goes.

--
Marco